Alec T. Habig
I'm a professor and Physics Dept. Head, teaching
Physics 2015 "General Physics II" and a discussion section of Physics 2013 "General Physics I"
I do research with the
neutrino experiments. I have also worked a lot on the
(still running) and MACRO (turned off in December 2000)
Also, I'm participating in SNEWS
(Supernova Early Warning System), which is a coincidence monitor of many
neutrino experiments to provide early warning of a
supernova in our
galaxy, and am UMD's representative to the Minnesota Space Grant Consortium.
some MINOS stuff:
- I have worked quite a bit on the MINOS Far
Detector, including being Run Coordinator
based at the MINOS Control
Room, 12th floor Wilson Hall.
- MINOS at UMD.
- The Soudan Mine Underground
Lab, of which I am Assoc. Director.
- arXiv:1004.2647 [hep-ex], MINOS neutrino oscillation results, in Modern Physics Letters A, 25, 1219.
- arXiv:0909.4012 [hep-ex], Observation of muon intensity variations by season with the MINOS far detector, in PRD 81, 012001.
- arXiv:0805.3170v1 [ins-det], The magnetized steel and scintillator calorimeters of the MINOS experiment, in NIM A596, 190.
- arXiv:0805.2317v1 [hep-ex], Current NuMI/MINOS Oscillation Results, 2008 Moriond Electroweak proceedings.
- hep-ex/0507018, The MINOS Detectors, 29th ICRC (Pune, 2005) proceedings.
- hep-ex/0507010, Neutrino-induced muons observed with MINOS, 29th ICRC (Pune, 2005) proceedings.
- Status of MINOS, a talk at Physics with Atmospheric Neutrinos and Neutrinos from Muon Storage Rings, IIT-Mumbai, India, August 1-2 2005.
MINOS Far Detector, a poster at Neutrino 2002 (Munich)
- NuMI-L-780, Outline
of a Shallow Underwater Main Injector Neutrino Oscillation Experiment (SUMO)
- MINOS work supported by NSF RUI grant #0970111
some Super-K stuff:
- astro-ph/0606413, High energy neutrino astronomy using upward-going muons in Super-Kamiokande-I
- astro-ph/0507051, High-Energy Neutrino Astronomy with the Super-Kamiokande Detector, 29th ICRC (Pune, 2005) proceedings.
- hep-ex/0501064 A Measurement of Atmospheric Neutrino Oscillation Parameters by Super-Kamiokande I
- Upward Showering muons in Super-K, a talk (in pdf) at the AAS HEAD meeting in New Orleans, Sept. 2004.
Neutrino Oscillations in SK-I, a talk (in pdf) at 28th ICRC (Tsukuba 2003)
- (Semi) UHE
Neutrinos in Super-Kamiokande, a talk (in pdf) at Chiba UHE Neutrino Telescope Workshop (2003)
- The Many
Uses of Upward-going Muons in Super-K, a poster at Neutrino 2002 (Munich)
An Indirect Search for WIMPs with Super-Kamiokande, 27th ICRC (Hamburg 2001) proceedings
Discriminating between νμ ↔ ντ and νμ ↔ νsterile in atmospheric νμ oscillations with the Super-Kamiokande detector, 27th ICRC (Hamburg 2001) proceedings
- hep-ex/9908049 Neutrino-induced upward stopping muons in Super-Kamiokande
- hep-ex/9812014 Measurement of the flux and zenith-angle distribution of upward through-going muons by
- hep-ex/9903047 Neutrino-induced upward-going muons in Super-Kamiokande, DPF'99 proceedings.
- The Super-K US Group's home page.
- Super-K at Boston University
some MACRO stuff:
some SNEWS stuff:
- Poster shown at the May 2005 AAS meeting in Minneapolis, in Powerpoint.
- "SNEWS: The SuperNova Early Warning System", in New Journal of Physics
- Poster shown at Neutrino 2004 (Paris) in ppt and pdf.
- Powerpoint of a SNEWS colloquium.
SNEWS: A Neutrino Early Warning System for Galactic SN II, 1999 Maryland
October Astrophysics Conference proceedings.
- SNEWS work supported by NSF collaborative grant #0969085
218-726-7214 MWAH 374 (Office)
218-726-8395 MWAH 349 (Lab)
Department of Physics
University of Minnesota Duluth
10 University Dr.
Duluth, MN 55812
or, click here to send me an email note!
My PGP Public Key
My PGP (old, pgp v.2.6) Public Key
Family, Interests and Personal Stuff:
- My wife Kim and sons
Karl and Frank.
- Our dogs Guido and Lucia, and cats Chiyo and Tomas.
- Wargaming: (Advanced Squad
Empires in Arms,
Battles, and generally a whole basement full of stuff). I used to keep the
rec.games.board FAQ back when dinosaurs and Usenet roamed the earth.
- Miniatures painting and gaming: (15mm Napoleanic
American Civil War, 15mm Welsh, and 25mm
Fantasy including the silly but fun Blood Bowl) and the 28mm Warhammer games.
- Science Fiction and Fantasy books.
- Hacking around with various computers and their games.
- Target shooting.
- Fencing. I
fence all three weapons, but do best at epee', and enjoy sabre the most.
- Netrek. You'll
find me playing under the name "Entropy", I play for the
EuroTwinks team in
I also hack around on the COW client
and the Vanilla Server.
- Here's my WWW bookmarks list - hope you find a
cool link here.
Me and my dog Guido.